August 1, 2012

Key Lime Pie Cupcakes

Since our trip to Florida in 2010, my husband and I have become fans of key lime pie. I've made Key Lime Pie Cupcakes is the past, but I haven't made them yet for my co-workers. Those cupcakes were moist but rather dense. I decided to try a different take on the cupcakes, basing my cupcakes on an Old Fashioned Graham Cracker Cake recipe I found online. After much deliberation of whether to top with fresh whipped cream to follow the traditional sense of the pie, I opted for Bakerella's cream cheese frosting. I was quite pleased with that decision.

These cupcakes received rave reviews, including the compliment of one of the best cupcakes someone has ever eaten. They are much improved over my previous (yet delicious) Key Lime Cupcakes.


Key Lime Pie Cupcakes
Cupcakes
3 c. graham cracker crumbs (one normal size box)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Filling
1 cup lime curd
Cream Cheese Key Lime Frosting
1/2 cup butter
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
16 oz. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. key lime juice

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 27 cupcake tins, and set aside.

Combine graham cracker crumbs with baking powder and salt. Put egg yolks, milk, shortening, sugar and vanilla into blender container, cover and process until smooth. Add to cracker crumbs, and mix well.

Beat egg whites with mixer until stiff. Fold into cracker mixture. Fill cupcake tins 3/4 full, and bake 17 to 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes in the pans, and then finish cooling on a wire rack.

Using a Bismark tip and piping bag, fill the cupcakes with lime curd.

To make frosting, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in remaining ingredients, adding more or less powdered sugar to reach desired consistency.

Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator to keep fresh. Makes 27 cupcakes.

No comments: