August 1, 2012

Homemade Maraschino Cherries

Whenever my husband makes me a tequila sunrise, he has to add the maraschino cherries for the "love" in my drink. So, when I saw how easy the recipe for homemade maraschino cherries was from Cupcake Project (and realized I actually had star anise in my cupboard). These are much prettier than the storebought cherries and don't include oodles of red dye.

Homemade Maraschino Cherries
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1 cup sugar
3 1/2 fluid oz. lemon juice (juice from about 3 lemons)
Pinch of salt
1 whole piece star anise
Peel from one large orange
1 pound pitted cherries (any kind will do, but I used Bing cherries)

In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat, add everything except the cherries. Bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved, stirring periodically. Add the cherries Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the syrup has a bit of a cherry flavor.

Remove the pan from the heat, and transfer the entire contents to a bowl (so it doesn't continue cooking). Let cool to room temperature. Transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate.

No comments: