March 20, 2018

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

This pie and Pi day (March 14) is what derailed my healthy eating. I swear tomorrow I'm back to soup and salad to cleanse my body of all the sugar I have consumed that tastes so delicious but makes me not feel my best.

This pie that I adapted from How Sweet Eats has been bookmarked for years, and it only required me grabbing heavy whipping cream to throw together a pie for my family for pie day. This pie is absolutely fantastic and worth repeating.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
Crust
1 1/2 cups peanut butter cookie crumbs
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
Truffle Layer
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream
Peanut Butter Cream
4 oz. chocolate, chopped
6 oz. creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Garnish
1/4 cup peanut butter
Whipped Cream

To prepare crust, combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press mixture into a 9-inch pie pan. Chill in the freezer while making the truffle layer.

To make the truffle layer, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat heavy cream until tiny bubbles appear on the edges, and pour hot cream over chocolate. Let stand 2 minutes. Stir gently until chocolate mixture is smooth. Pour into pie plate, and spread up the sides of the crust. Chill at least 30 minutes in the freezer while making the peanut butter cream.

For the peanut butter layer, combine chopped chocolate, peanut butter and 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Melt the mixture together, and stir until smooth. Cool completely to room temperature before proceeding. Whip the remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the peanut butter mixture. Spoon into pie.

For garnish, melt the peanut butter, and drizzle it over the pie. Top with whipped cream, if desired, for serving.

No comments: