February 28, 2010

Key Lime Cupcakes

After our recent adventures in Florida, my husband and I are hooked on key lime. We enjoyed key lime pie and milkshakes in Florida, so I created key lime cupcakes for my husband's birthday. They were quite tasty, although I ad libbed the key lime buttercream frosting, which is my favorite part.

Key Lime Cupcakes
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
5 egg yolks
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Beat the butter 30 seconds until creamed. Add sugar, and mix 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating 30 seconds for each egg.

Sift together graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and powder and salt. (Likely all your graham cracker crumbs won't sift, but I was surprised by how much did.) Add 1/4 of the mixture to the butter. Add some of the milk. Continue to alternate mixing in dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined.

In separate bowl, combine egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Dump this mixture into the graham batter and lightly stir. You do not want the two mixtures thoroughly combined.

Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes or until top bounces back when touched.

No comments: