August 1, 2012

Layered Mexican-Style Casserole

I can't give credit for the original recipe that I modified here because it's one I copied down from somewhere several years ago. I was trying to finagle all my cookbooks into my bookshelf when I came across this recipe. I remembered I had a can of hominy in the cupboard (that I probably bought to make this recipe) and decided to make this for dinner.

Since it's a slow cooker meal, it's extremely easy to put together and requires minimal hands-on time. It reminds me of our Mexican lasagna recipe in terms of flavor and texture, but it's a vegetarian meal. That means it's perfectly fine to get your protein in the form of bacon ice cream. What? Black beans have protein? Oh, then I got extra protein today.

Bonus: Our 10-month old loves this!


Layered Mexican-Style Casserole
28 oz. hominy, drained
15 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup salsa
28 oz. diced tomatoes with basil
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
3 large (or up to 6 small) flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese
1/4 cup black olives, sliced
2 Tbsp. chives, chopped

Create foil handles, and place in a crock pot sprayed with nonstick spray. Stir together all ingredients except tortillas, cheese, olives and chives. Layer tortillas, vegetable mix and cheese. Repeat layers, reserving the last cheese layer. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours. Top with cheese and olives. Let stand 5 minutes to melt cheese. Garnish with chives. Serves 6.

No comments: