August 30, 2012

Creamsicle Jelly

I think we need to eat more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in our house ... or mix jelly or jam into plain yogurt ... or something to increase our jelly/jam consumption. I've made quite a few interesting (and yes, delicious) jams and jellies that need to be eaten.

This is another one that intrigued me and stuck in my head. So, when we had an abundance of orange juice, I made this recipe from Food in Jars. Here's my variation because I didn't have the 2 whole vanilla beans listed in the original recipe. (Note my festive tablecloth--super easy to make!)


Creamsicle Jelly
4 cups orange juice
3 cups vanilla sugar
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. powdered pectin

Combine orange juice, sugars and vanilla in a large pot (this one is a foamer). Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook with the intention of reducing the volume by approximately half. Aim to cook this at least 30 minutes.

Use a thermometer to track the temperature, so you know when you’re getting to 220 degrees (the set point of jams and jellies). When it has reached 220 degrees and is able to maintain that temperature even after a good stir, add the pectin. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, and remove from heat.

Strain to remove the vanilla beans from the pot, and pour jam into prepared jars. Wipe rims, apply lids and screw on bands. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Makes 2 pints.

No comments: