June 8, 2011

Tequila Sunrise Cupcakes


My husband's delicious Tequila Sunrises was the inspiration for my creation for the annual Ice Cream Cupcake Contest hosted by the Cupcake Project and Scoopalicious. I wanted to develop my cupcake using the true flavors of a Tequila Sunrise: orange, pomegranate and tequila. (I had learned from the Cupcake Project that grenadine was originally made from pomegranates, so I wanted to be true to its origin.) The cupcake combines all three flavors into a delicious summer treat that allows pregnant cupcake lovers to indulge in a Tequila Sunrise!
Tequila Sunrise Cupcake
While flipping through my A World of Cake book, I saw a recipe for Brazil Nut Cake, with an Orange Cake variation. I decided to use that recipe as a base, adjusting it to incorporate the tequila. The cake is flecked with hints of orange zest and a true orange flavor with a touch of tequila. (Note: I did use food coloring in a portion of my cupcakes in an effort to obtain the authentic colors of a Tequila Sunrise. They taste just as delicious whether the cake is artificially orange or its natural yellowish hue.)

Orange Tequila Cake

2 3/4 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs
1/2 cup orange juice
Zest of one orange
1/3 cup tequila

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Combine flour, baking powder and salt together. In mixer, beat together sugar and butter until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each one until thoroughly mixed. Stir in the orange juice and zest until well combined.

Then add flour mixture and tequila, alternating between the flour and tequila until both are fully incorporated. (You should be adding 3 portions of flour and three portions of tequila, ending with the tequila.) Scoop the batter into 29 prepared cupcake liners. Bake approximately 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of cupcakes comes out clean.



Remove cupcakes from cupcake tins, and cool completely on wire racks.


Once cupcakes are completely cool, cut the top portion off each cupcake. This will allow you to spoon a dollop of pomegranate ice cream onto each cupcake. Then recap each cupcake. (Note: The ice cream melts quickly, especially in the 90º weather we've had recently, so work quickly and store your cupcakes in the freezer between steps.)



Frost the cupcakes using pomegranate frosting, and then top each cupcake with a candied orange peel. Serve immediately, or store in freezer until serving. Then ... indulge!

5 comments:

David B said...

These cupcakes are the best ones you have ever made :)

Ashley said...

I want I want I want!!! OMG Kerry - these sound absolutely amazing!

Katie said...

This is what I want to eat right now. What a fantastic idea! These would be delicious at a cocktail party!

Sara said...

Oh my goodness, these look so delicious! The combination of orange and pomegranate sounds terrific! :)

David B said...

You should make these again.... they were delicous last time!!