August 1, 2012

Berry Kale Salad

Prior to this summer, I've never eaten kale that I recall. That didn't stop me from impulsively buying a 4-pack of kale plants for our garden. I learned that kale grows quickly in our garden and is much hardier than our lettuce and spinach that seem to either wilt in the heat or seed immediately (or so it seems). That left me with the question of what on earth to do with my kale.

I modified How Sweet It Is's kale salad recipe and came up with this delicious concoction.


Berry Kale Salad
Salad
1 head of curly kale, leaves removed from stem and torn
1 cup fresh tart cherries, pitted and sliced
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
2/3 cup chopped toasted almonds
Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette
3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. honey
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
1 pinch cinnamon

First, prepare the vinaigrette by blending all ingredients together until smooth. Place kale in a large bowl, and add about 1/4 cup of the strawberry vinaigrette. Massage and rub dressing into kale with your hands, and then let the kale sit for 5 to 10 minutes.

Add cherries and berries, then add a few more tablespoons of dressing and toss. Finish by topping with chopped almonds. Makes 4 servings (or 2 meals).


No comments: