November 1, 2018

Zuppa Toscana (Whole 30)

One of the first ways I discovered that I enjoyed kale was in this Zuppa Toscana, which is a relatively healthy recipe that's quite delicious. With doing a recent round of Whole 30, I found this version from 40 Aprons that I tried. When I made it, the coconut milk threw me for a loop, and I wasn't sure I liked it that well. But the leftovers were amazing, so I think it was a mental thing for me at first. I didn't mention to my husband that it was made with coconut milk, and he didn't say a word about any sort of coconut flavor.

I'm already contemplating making another batch this weekend for easy lunches this week.

Zuppa Toscana (Whole 30)
1 lb. Italian sausage (see below for recipe)
4 slices bacon, diced (make sure it's compliant if you're aiming for Whole 30)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb. 3 oz. potatoes, sliced into thick slides
1 medium onion, diced
2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
4 cups chicken stock
1 can coconut milk
4 cups chopped kale
Italian Sausage
1 lb. ground pork
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
Pinch dried oregano
Pinch dried thyme

If making the Italian sausage, combine all the sausage ingredients together in a large pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring to incorporate all the seasonings, until the pork is cooked through. Remove from the pot, set aside and drain any extra grease.

In the same pot, cook the bacon pieces over medium heat until browned. Remove the bacon, but leave the bacon grease to cook the onions and the garlic. Simmer those 5 minutes, and then add the chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add back the sausage and bacon, along with the coconut milk and kale. Cook just until the kale is wilted but still bright green. Serves 6.

Note: I added as much kale as I could get to wilt in the liquid. I much prefer really thick soups with more stuff than broth, so this worked out perfectly.

No comments: