November 11, 2018

Mimosa Cupcakes

Last week at work, one of my co-workers joked about needing a mimosa. Another co-worker extrapolated that idea by saying that I should make mimosa cupcakes. I just laughed but thought, "Challenge accepted."

I found this recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction and liked the frosting recipe. I was actually going to mimic the whole recipe but was lacking a few of the cupcake ingredients. In hindsight, given how her cupcakes looked compared to mine, I wish I would have tried her recipe. The flavor is solid in my cupcakes but just lacks the nice dome. They are a slightly more dense, flat cupcake, but no one complained. I had tweaked my tequila sunrise orange cake for my cupcakes.

Mimosa Cupcakes
Cupcakes
Substitute champagne for tequila in this cake recipe
Frosting
1 1/2 cups champagne
4 sticks butter, room temperature
8 cups powdered sugar
2-4 drops orange essential oil

Prepare cupcakes, and let them cool completely before frosting. While baking the cupcakes, simmer champagne in a small pan until reduced to about 1/3 cup. Let cool completely before proceeding to make frosting.

To make the frosting, beat the butter 5 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Add the champagne slowly, beating until desired consistency. Add orange oil, and beat to combine. Makes 24 cupcakes.

No comments: