January 25, 2014

Vanilla Maple Almond Butter

This is my latest variety from Edible Perspective. Although it's tasty, I'm not sure I'd recreate it again. Perhaps my nose is overly sensitive lately, but something sniffs a tiny bit odd about this butter. Maybe it was just that I made this right after the most delicious cake batter cashew butter. Maybe I'm not a fan of flax seed in my nut butter although I like flax elsewhere.

Eh, try it for yourself if you please ... I'll take one of her other varieties or this version if I'm in the mood for almond butter.


Vanilla Maple Almond Butter
2 cups raw almonds
1/3 cup flax seed
3 Tbsp. maple syrup, divided
2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. almond oil

Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with a silipat or parchment, and toss almonds and flax seed with 2 Tbsp. maple syrup. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through baking.

Let cool for a few minutes, and place in food processor. Process until nut butter forms, about 10 to 15 minutes with frequent scraping of the sides. Add in remaining ingredients, and process again until smooth. (Note, you may not need all the almond oil depending on the consistency of your butter.)

Store in an sealed container, in the fridge for longer storage. Makes about 3/4 pint nut butter.

No comments: