December 19, 2010

Spiced Vanilla Cookies

Lately I've tried at least one new recipe each Christmas season, and this year was no exception. After all, I have so many recipes flagged to try that I'm not sure how I'll ever get through them all. This year, I tried Spiced Vanilla Cookies.

These cookies are crisp and flavorful. They also contain less butter than most of my holiday creations, ranking them as the "healthiest" cookie I have. (Although I will always try to justify my chocolate-covered raisins because they are fruit!) They're good, but they probably will not become a regular in my holiday repertoire.

Spiced Vanilla Cookies
2 1/4 cups flour
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1/4 cup light-colored corn syrup
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 egg white

Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt together. In mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter and oil on medium speed until smooth. Add syrup, vanilla and egg white to sugar mixture, beating until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed until just combined. Divide dough in two portions, wrap each in plastic wrap, and chill dough for one hour.

Working with one portion at a time, press dough into a 4-inch square between sheets of wax paper or heavy-duty plastic wrap. Roll dough to 1/16-inch thickness while still covered. Place dough in freezer for 30 minutes. Repeat with second portion of dough.

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Working again with one portion of dough at a time, cut dough into 2-inch round circles. Place cookies 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 5 minutes, and then cool completely on wire rack. Makes approximately 44 cookies.

No comments: