December 27, 2010

Spanish Hot Chocolate

One of the many things I miss from Spain is the hot chocolate. I would often get a mug of chocolate after my classes, savoring the rich drink that was literally thick enough to eat with a spoon. This recipe replicates the flavor but is not quite as thick. I think I could adjust the thickness by adding more instant pudding, which I'll have to try in the future.

Spanish Hot Chocolate
1 1/2 cups milk
4 oz. dark cooking chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1 Tbsp. vanilla instant pudding

Warm 3/4 cup milk in non-reactive pan over low heat. Add the chocolate, and stir until all the chocolate is melted.

In separate container, mix the remaining milk and vanilla pudding until blended. Add to the warm milk chocolate mixture, stirring until drink is thick. Do not let it come to a boil, and continuously stir. Remove from heat when thick, and whisk until frothy.

No comments: