December 19, 2010

Scotch Shortbread

I'm not sure why this is called Scotch Shortbread, as opposed to simply shortbread. It's my mother's recipe, and I love the buttery flavor of this simple recipe.

I made a double batch this year, since it does not create an obnoxious amount of cookies. (My double batch fit into one gallon bag. I created three variations this year, and I'll note my additions at the bottom of the posting.

Scotch Shortbread
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups sifted flour

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in flour. Chill several hours until firm.

Preheat oven to 300ºF. On ungreased cookie sheets, divide dough into halves. Shape each into a circle, 1/4- to 1/8-inch thick. Score with a fork or roll with a cookie cutter.

Bake 30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Break apart and cool on wax paper.

Variations:
Chocolate Shortbread
Add one package of hot cocoa mix to half of the dough. Knead in well prior to chilling dough.

Chai Shortbread
Add cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves in amounts of 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. to half of dough. Knead in well prior to chilling dough.

No comments: