December 24, 2010

Rustic Cabbage Soup

This was my method of using the head of cabbage I purchased, and I think I would have been better off just pan frying the cabbage for my family. The soup is really garlicky, like a garlic broth. Maybe if my beans would have been fully cooked, I would be more impressed.

Rustic Cabbage Soup
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Pinch of salt
1/2 lb. potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
5 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups white beans, pre-cooked
1/2 medium cabbage, cut into 1/4-inch ribbons

Heat olive oil in large pot, and stir in salt and potatoes. Cover, and cook until they are a bit tender and starting to brown, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook for another couple minutes. Add the stock and the beans, and bring the pot to a simmer. Stir in the cabbage, and cook until the cabbage is the desired texture. Serve drizzled with Parmesan cheese. Serves 4.

No comments: