September 12, 2013

Homemade Fruit Bars

We have quite the jam collection from all my canning projects. So, I was intrigued when I saw a recipe that uses jam on Two Peas & Their Pod. I make homemade granola bars for my husband's lunch (and my constant snacking while home juggling two under two), and I thought these bars would be a nice change of pace.

These will now join the granola bar rotation since they were a hit. The end result with my modifications was a slightly crunchy and tasty bar that's a bit healthier than the original recipe. (I have no issue with copious amounts of butter in my dessert recipes but couldn't stomach 12 Tbsp. in a recipe that was supposedly healthy.)

Homemade Fruit Bars
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup cold, salted butter, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
3 Tbsp. cold water
1 cup fruit preserves or jam

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Pulse for 30 seconds.

Add the butter and cold water, and pulse until the dough holds together when pressed.

Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Divide the dough mixture in half, and press half into the prepared baking dish, using the back of a spatula to press down evenly.

Spread the preserves evenly on top of the dough. Sprinkle the remaining dough evenly on top of the preserves, and gently press down using the back of a spatula.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool, and cut into 16 bars. These bars keep at room temperature for 3 days or at least a week in the refrigerator. Makes 16 bars.

No comments: