September 12, 2013

Baked Peach Oatmeal

I've seen quite a few recipes for baked oatmeal. Since I had a few peaches/nectarines about to spoil, it was perfect timing when I came across this version from Two Peas & Their Pod.

Now I'm thinking I should revisit some of those other baked oatmeals I've seen. This is an easy, delicious and healthy breakfast. After mixing it together, my hands smelled wonderful. I wish my hands always smelled like that. And this recipe is forgiving if you want to make substitutions.


Baked Peach Oatmeal
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups almond milk
1 large egg
3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
2 cups chopped peaches and/or nectarines

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8 square baking dish, and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

In another medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, egg, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extract.

Arrange the chopped peaches on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the oat mixture evenly over the peaches. Pour the almond milk mixture over the oats. Gently shake the baking dish to make sure the milk covers the oats evenly.

Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden and oatmeal is set. Let cool for 5 minutes, and serve warm. Leftovers can be easily reheated in the microwave. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: