February 18, 2018

Vegetable Broth

I've never made vegetable broth before I tried this recipe from Cook Republic. I'm focusing on healthy eating (yet again ... those darn cakes and cookies and cupcakes make this a repeat cycle) and trying to add nourishment to my body to help it heal from a stress fracture.

I simmered mine longer than the original recipe with the intention of pulling more nutrients from the vegetables. I'm happy to have this in the freezer for future recipes.

Vegetable Broth
2 leeks, washed and sliced (white only)
3 carrots, washed and chopped
2 red onions, quartered
3 celery sticks, washed and chopped
4 parsley sprigs, washed and chopped
6 thyme sprigs
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 inch ginger piece, chopped
1 inch fresh turmeric root, chopped
8 oz. button mushrooms
10 peppercorns
4 bay leaves
salt to taste (usually 2-3 teaspoons
6 liters filtered water

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Simmer at least 90 minutes but preferably several hours. Strain and discard all vegetables. Refrigerate or freeze for future use.

No comments: