February 20, 2018

Sweet Potato Breakfast Cookies

As I strive to incorporate vegetables into my son's diet in ways that he won't refuse, I turned to these cookies from Run Fast, Eat Slow. If you're expecting a warm, melty chocolate chip cookie, then this will disappoint. But if you're thinking more along a breakfast bar, this hits the spot.

These cookies are dense and hold the flavors of pumpkin pie. Don't get me wrong. They don't taste like pumpkin pie, but the flavors are along those lines. My favorite part was the crunchy outside edges that tasted like granola.

And not only did both my children eat these (Teddy enjoying them more than AJ), but Dave even ate one despite them containing sweet potato, which he believes is poisonous.

Sweet Potato Breakfast Cookies
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup almond meal
1 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup sweet potato puree
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup raisins (I omitted these because I wanted my family to eat them)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silipat.

In a food processor, pulse the oats until roughly chopped. Combine with almond flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl, whisk together puree, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla (and raisins if your family eats raisins). Fold in the oat mixture, and stir until blended. The dough will be very thick.

Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to drop the matter onto the baking sheet. Space the cookies one inch apart. Lightly press down each cookie to flatten.

Bake until bottoms are a deep golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Makes about 14 cookies.

No comments: