August 21, 2011

Golden Oat Saffron Bread

Saffron is not an ingredient normally found in my kitchen (perhaps the price tag is the reason for that). However, I picked up saffron this summer with the intention of making this Golden Oat Saffron Bread. I was a bit distraught I didn't have oat flour in my arsenal, until I realized I just needed to grind my oats into a powder.


The bread is delicious warm, perfect for a Sunday brunch. The saffron contributes a unique flavor, along with a pretty yellow tinge.
Golden Oat Saffron Bread
2 eggs plus scalded milk equal to 1 1/3 cups
2 tsp. dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. pulverized saffron
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup butter
3 cups bread flour

Cool the milk until warm, between 105ºF and 115ºF. Pour into warmed mixing bowl with eggs and yeast. Let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, saffron oat flour, butter and half the bread flour. Mix well, cover and let stand 15 minutes.

Add remaining bread flour. Knead until a dough forms that is smooth and springy but soft to the touch. Remove the dough hook, cover the bowl and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Turn dough onto lightly greased surface, and punch dough down. Divide dough into three equal pieces, and shape each into skinny log. Braid together the three strands of dough. Place braided bread on prepared baking sheet. Cover, and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Glaze with an egg and milk mixture, and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake 15 to 25 minutes, until golden and a wooden skewer comes out clean.Serve warm.

No comments: