July 19, 2015

Ultimate Sugar Cookies

I call these the ultimate sugar cookies, simply because they work awesome for me. You may have your own favorite recipe, but this recipe makes me not hate baking sugar cookies, which is a pretty big deal for me.

Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle is where I found this recipe, as well as the inspiration for cookies for my younger son's second birthday party. She does amazing cookies and detailed tutorials that make crazy things like moose cookies actually fairly simple to do. Be sure to check out her site for the detailed moose tutorial. She also had posted a link to camping cookies from SemiSweet. As soon as I saw those, I was smitten. I figured if I did some of my favorites from the camping cookies, I could include the moose since we've seen moose on several of our camping adventures.


For frosting sugar cookies, I like what Bridget at Bake at 350 does. I've linked directly to her royal icing recipe and pointers. Her 20-second icing is a huge timesaver, although it doesn't work the best for super-detailed work. I used it for quite a bit of the designs in these cookies.

Ultimate Sugar Cookies
2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400°F. Cream together butter and powdered sugar. Crack the egg into a separate bowl, and add the flavoring. Add the egg mixture to the butter sugar mixture, and mix until the egg is thoroughly incorporated. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add it little by little to the mixture. The dough is ready when most of it sticks to the paddle but does not stick to fingers.

Roll out on parchment to about 1/4-inch thick, use flour for dusting as necessary. Chill dough briefly while not working with it (or while waiting to put cut cookies in the oven.) Then, cut and bake  for 7-8 minutes. This version makes 2-2 1/2 dozen depending on how large the cookies are.



 



 

No comments: