July 21, 2015

Blueberry BBQ Sauce

When I went to Ashville, NC for work, I ate at a rib place with a renowned blueberry BBQ sauce. It was really good, although I'm not a terribly big fan of fruit combined with meat. When I saw this recipe on Kitchen Confidant, it immediately reminded me of that sauce.

With a plethora of blueberries on hand, I made the sauce. The smell during the cooking process scared my husband away from eating the finished product, but I'm pleased with it. It was a hit with some friends we had over, as well as my mom. I'm curious how it would hold up to canning and whether it would be shelf safe because I think it would make a great gift.

Blueberry BBQ Sauce
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen works)
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, to taste
1/3 cup diced shallots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the blueberries, honey and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and cook until the blueberries have burst and released their juices, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, shallots and garlic, and let it cook for about 5-7 minutes more. If you have an immersion blender, blend the sauce together to puree the sauce into a smoother consistency.

Stir in the molasses, salt and pepper, and continue simmering the sauce until it has thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat, and let it cool. It will thicken as it sits. The sauce may be used right away or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator after cooling completely. Makes about 2 1/2 cups of sauce.

No comments: