July 14, 2015

Salted Caramel Twix Cupcakes

These Twix Brownies were so incredible that I wanted to convert them to cupcake form. My vision for a Salted Caramel Twix Cupcake turned out as well as I envisioned. My husband described them as one of my best "fancy" cupcakes, meaning one that he thought would sell well in a cupcake store. I really like how well it works to use the jumbo liners for cupcakes with layers to hold everything inside nicely.

Homemade caramel is still a work in progress for me. I tend to do better when I don't use the dry method, as I end up with quite a few clumps that never work themselves out, which is why this caramel sauce was a bit runny for me after straining it.

Definitely a repeat cupcake, although I still really want the brownies again. Cupcakes are good, but those brownies take the cake ... or cupcake?


Salted Caramel Twix Brownies
Cupcakes
24 circle-shaped shortbread cookies
2 cups flour
2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup water
Filling
1/4 cup salted caramel
Frosting
1 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup salted caramel
Garnish
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 cupcake tins with liners, and place a cookie in the bottom of each one. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder.

Cream shortening for 30 seconds. Add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time. Beat 2 minutes longer after all sugar is added. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in sour cream and vanilla.

Alternately add flour mixture and water, beginning and ending with flour. Divide batter evenly among tins.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes, and then remove from tins to cool completely on wire racks.

Once cupcakes are cooled, fill with salted caramel using a pastry tip and pastry bag.

To make the frosting, beat butter until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add powdered sugar, and then beat in salted caramel until desired consistency is reached. Frost cupcakes.

To garnish, melt chocolate chips on medium-power in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. Let cool completely to room temperature, and then drizzle over cupcakes with a fork. Makes 24 cupcakes.


No comments: