April 4, 2013

Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sauce

I should ban myself from making sweets. My most recent pre-natal checkup confirmed this baby's serious sweet tooth. I'll have to consider that (as I munch jellybeans while typing this).

On the bright side, I'm knocking off a few recipes I've had bookmarked for quite a while like this one from Love and Olive Oil. This creates a thick fudge sauce with a definite peanut flavor. It's best warm dousing vanilla ice cream.


Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sauce
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together sugar, cocoa powder, flour and salt in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in boiling water until smooth, followed by corn syrup and peanut butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened slightly and reduced by half.

Remove from heat, and transfer to a heatproof bowl; stir in vanilla. (Don't forget the vanilla like I did. I hate when I'm typing the recipes and realize I omitted an ingredient.) Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. (Don’t refrigerate the sauce before it has completely cooled or it may become grainy.)

When completely cooled, transfer sauce to a glass jar or airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Warm gently in the microwave before serving. Makes 1 1/2 to 2 cups.

No comments: