April 17, 2013

Biscoff Cups

This recipe from Little Kitchen was one that inspired me to pay the exorbitantly high price for a jar of biscoff. Biscoff is similar to peanut butter in consistency but is largely comprised of ground cookies. I do give Europeans a smidge of credit for this invention, which is a result of their dispassion for peanut butter. (I was in serious peanut butter withdraw during my study abroad session there. I'm not sure I would have survived had my family not brought me a jar of peanut butter when they came to visit.)


This was my first attempt at making homemade peanut butter cups or something similar. My technique probably leaves a lot to be desired, but the flavor of these is insanely addictive. My husband looked at me weird when I told him my greatest accomplishment of the day was not eating the entire batch of biscoff cups ... and then after he tried one he said my second greatest accomplishment of the day would be to keep him from eating the rest of them.

Biscoff Cups
Filling
1/2 cup creamy biscoff spread (or cookie butter spread)
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Chocolate Shell
2 cups  dark chocolate, chips or coarsely chopped
2 tsp. vegetable shortening

Line cupcake tins with 18 cupcake liners and set aside. (I used a mini mold and then silicone cupcake liners, both of which worked great.)

To prepare the filling, microwave the biscoff spread and butter for about 20 seconds until both are melted. Stir in powdered sugar until thoroughly combined.

In a separate bowl, combine the chocolate and shortening. (I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and a chunk of unsweetened chocolate since I didn't have dark chocolate on hand.) Microwave on low heat, stirring every 30 seconds, until the mixture is melted.

Spread about 1 tsp. of chocolate into the bottom of each mold. Spread about 1/2 Tbsp. of biscoff on top of the chocolate layer. Spread another 1 tsp. of chocolate on top of the biscoff layer. Refrigerate until set. To store, leave the biscoff cups in their liners inside an airtight container in the refrigerator. (If you want to be more putzy and have more perfect looking treats, I'd suggest chilling the cups between layers to set the layers. That would take much longer than it took to whip together these slightly hodgepodge but still delicious ones.) Makes about 18 normal-size treats (or 12 minis and 4 gigantic ones).

No comments: