March 29, 2013

Homemade Peeps

My hubby likes Peeps. I don't. I like marshmallows. I just don't like them coated in sugar. I could have bought him a pack of Peeps for a buck, but what's the fun in that? Instead, I found this recipe adapted from Martha Stewart online and made a homemade version. Fairly simple to do, not terribly time consuming but holy sticky. I'm pretty sure I'll find marshmallow around the house for a couple days because my 18-month-old took off with the beater while he was licking it.


Homemade Peeps
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/3 cup cold water
1 cup sugar
Colored sugar
Cocoa powder (optional, for decoration)

Lightly coat a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick spray along with cookie cutters to cut out your peeps.

In a mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water. Let stand while you make the sugar mixture. To make the sugar mixture, combine 1/3 cup water and sugar over medium heat in a small saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved, and then stop stirring. Let cook until mixture reaches between 235°F and 240°F. Remove from heat, and carefully pour into the gelatin mixture while mixing on low speed. Pour in slowly, so the sugar mixture doesn't clump.

Beat on high speed 8 to 10 minutes until the mixture thickens, turns white and can hold soft peaks. Immediately spoon and smooth into prepared pan. Let sit a couple minutes, and then use either greased or moistened cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. Roll cut shapes into colored sugar.

To make eyes or any other markings, mix cocoa powder with a couple drops of water. Use a toothpick to draw on designs. Makes a 9 x 9 pan of peeps.

No comments: