March 4, 2013

Orange Vanilla Curd

I had 15 egg yolks sitting in my fridge. That meant one of two things: I had to make ice cream or I had to make curd. (I suppose it could mean that I had to make both ...) And if you're wondering why I had 15 egg yolks it's because I used 15 egg whites to make my recent batches of award-winning S'mores Cupcakes. Not that I have a big head still on that topic.

I pulled out my copy of Food in Jars and found this recipe calling my name. The only downside is this can't be canned, but it should keep well in the fridge or freezer. This is deliciously like a creamsicle. It's begging me to make vanilla cupcakes filled with its deliciousness topped with creamsicle frosting. Once I figure out whether to make buttercream or cream cheese frosting, I shall answer its calling.

Orange Vanilla Curd
1 1/4 cups sugar
Zest of 3 oranges
1 vanilla bean, split, scraped and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 egg yolks
2 eggs
Juice of 3 oranges
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
6 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cubed

In a small bowl, combine sugar with orange zest and vanilla bean and seeds. Stir until sugar is fully combined and fragrant. Set aside.

Set up a double boiler, so the top bowl does not touch the water. Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk together egg yolks and eggs. Combine with zest and sugar and juices. Stir until blended. Drop in butter cubes, and stir continually until the curd thickens and cooks completely. Curd should be 200°F and coat the back of a spatula (although this curd may be a bit looser).

Strain the curd through a mesh sieve to remove the zest and vanilla bean. Pour the curd into clean containers to store in the fridge or freezer. Makes 1 pint approximately.

No comments: