June 13, 2012

Chocolate-Espresso Cupcakes

My work is currently running a Biggest Loser weight loss competition. Although I'm not participating, the contest has diminished the popularity of my cupcakes in the short term. I'm sure once the contest is over in July, people will be back into the cupcake craze in full force.

In the meantime, I've tried to be courteous by making slightly healthier cupcakes. These are unfrosted, which greatly reduces the calorie count. I despise the flavor of coffee, so I'm not sure I'll partake in one of these. However, I'm guessing my coffee-crazed coworkers will enjoy them.


Chocolate-Espresso Cupcakes
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 egg whites
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup light chocolate soymilk
2 tsp. espresso coffee granules
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Garnish
Powdered sugar
Chocolate-covered coffee beans

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line 12 cupcake tins, and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, beat together egg whites, egg, sugar and oil on medium speed until well combined. Alternately add flour mixture and soymilk, beating after each addition. Beat in coffee granules and vanilla.

Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans, and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Once cupcakes are cooled, sift tops with powdered sugar, and garnish each cupcake with chocolate-covered coffee beans. Makes 12 cupcakes.

No comments: