February 26, 2012

Whole Wheat Raisin-Nut Bread

I suppose one advantage of baking my way through bread books is that I've finally learned how to spell the word "raisin" properly the first time I attempt it. For the longest of time, I felt like it should have ended "-sen."

That makes it easier for me to blog my baking adventures, the latest of which was Whole Wheat Raisin-Nut Bread. This smells delicious and is the last traditional loaf recipe for me from Whole Grain Breads by Machine or Hand. I believe I have two festive recipes left to bake, and then the book will be thoroughly tested and my husband will expect me to go back to repeat his favorites.


Whole Wheat Raisin-Nut Bread
1 1/3 cups water
2 tsp. dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. nonfat dry milk
2 Tbsp. butter
4 cups wheat flour
2 Tbsp. gluten
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Heat the water until warm, between 105ºF and 115ºF. Add to a warm mixing bowl with the yeast, salt, cinnamon, sugar and milk. Let stand 5 minutes.

Add butter and half the wheat flour. Mix well. Cover, and let stand 15 minutes.

Add remaining wheat flour and gluten, and mix well. Knead until smooth and springy, adding flour as needed. Knead in raisins and nuts. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let stand one hour until doubled.

Punch down dough. Shape into one loaf, and place into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Cover, and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until the loaf is golden and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

No comments: