February 13, 2012

Granola with Sunflower Seeds

Although I believe I slightly overcooked this granola, it's still amazingly addictive. I used sorghum molasses, which is my newly discovered favorite molasses. I made a half batch, which still results in plenty of granola crunchy munchies.


Granola with Sunflower Seeds
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey or molasses
1/2 cup flaxseed
6 cups rolled oats
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
3/4 cup sunflower seeds (I used salted, but unsalted would be better)
3/4 cup wheat germ

Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large saucepan, combine oil and molasses over low heat until warm. Remove from heat. Stir in flaxseed, oats, pecans and sunflower seeds, stirring to coat evenly.Spread evenly onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I used one large cookie sheet for a half batch.) Bake 15 minutes. Stir in wheat germ and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned, stirring every 5 minutes. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Makes 9 cups.

No comments: