January 31, 2012

Cranberry-Oatmeal Bars

Perhaps I'll finally make a dent in my list of recipes to try from my Cooking Light magazines now that I'm home more often with my son. I'm not sure if these bars will be dessert with an out-of-town friend this weekend or if I'll feel compelled to bake something else.

Cranberry-Oatmeal Bars
Crust
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
3 Tbsp. orange juice
Filling
1 1/3 cups dried cranberries
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. orange zest
1 large egg white, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 325ยบ. Combine dry ingredients for the crust together, and then drizzle with orange juice and butter. Stir together until moistened, although the mixture will remain crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup of mixture, and press the remainder into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.

In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients together. Spread evenly over prepared crust. Sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture.

Bake 40 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Makes 24 bars.

No comments: