October 4, 2011

Tomato Butter

I think the last tomatoes of our garden are now officially canned. We have some green tomatoes, but I'm not sure that I have the right combination of the perfect recipe, enough ambition and sufficient time to make those a priority right now. The last of the tomatoes met their fate as Tomato Butter, an idea I found on my new favorite blog Food in Jars. I followed the recipe from this blog, minus the lemon zest as I didn't have any fresh lemons on hand.


Tomato Butter

5 pounds tomatoes, peeled and pureed (approximately 10 cups)
1 1/3 cups honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice

Put the tomato puree in a slow cooker. Cook on low, with the lid propped on a chopstick or wooden spoon laid across the rim of the cooker, for 12-18 hours, until the tomato puree has reduced by more than half. I actually cooked mine for probably 20+ hours, but I also did a slightly larger batch than this recipe.

When most the liquid has cooked off and the tomato puree is quite thick, add the honey, brown sugar, spices and lemon juice and zest. Transfer the butter into a blender or bowl of a food processor and carefully puree.

Fill jars, wipe rims, apply lids and rings and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes (start time when water has returned to a boil).

When time is up, remove jars from canner and let cool on a towel-lined counter. When jars are cool, remove rings and test seals. Store in a cool, dark place for up to one year.

Note: I used Linskens Honey for this recipe. I think the quality of the honey shines through particularly with the large amount used in this recipe. Linskens Honey is produced locally by a friend and his family and is available at Woodman's Foods.

No comments: