November 17, 2010

Pickled Brussel Sprouts

The reason I'm posting this is because I have no clue how I made my pickled brussel sprouts last year ... and they were the hottest canned item I created. So, here's my recipes from this year.

Pickled Brussel Sprouts
5 cups vinegar
5 cups water
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 Tbsp. celery seed
4 Tbsp. mustard seed
2 tsp. turmeric
Fresh or dried dill heads (optional)
Dried hot peppers (optional)
Lots o'brussel sprouts

Soak brussel sprouts in salt water for 10 minutes to drive out any bugs. Clean brussel sprouts, and make and x-shaped incision on the end of each sprout to allow brine to penetrate.

Prepare brine by combining vinegar, water, pickling salt, celery seed, mustard seed and turmeric. Bring mixture to a boil.

Meanwhile, place 1 head of dill and/or 1 hot pepper into each clean, prepared pint jar. Fill each jar with brussel sprouts. Add boiling brine to each jar, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add lids and rings. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.

No comments: