November 20, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bread

I had a wonderfully productive day today, both in the kitchen and in general terms. I baked three different bread recipes today, spending my rising and baking time cleaning/organizing all my kitchen cupboards. I now have more space AND three delicious types of bread.

I made a quick bread from my Bread Bible book by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Her recipe for Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bread turned out amazing. I was impressed by my willpower to wait to try it as my dinner dessert, considering the bread was tempting me since 9 a.m. This is a dessert bread with consistency similar to chocolate cake.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bread
3 1/2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
3 Tbsp. boiling water
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
13 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped medium-fine

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Whisk together cocoa and water until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Once at room temperature, whisk in vanilla and eggs until smooth.

In large bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed 30 seconds to combine ingredients. Add half the chocolate mixture and all the butter. Mix on low until all dry ingredients are moistened, and then increase speed to medium for stand mixers (high for hand mixers) for one minute. Scrape down sides of bowl. Gradually add remaining chocolate mixture in two batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape down the sides of bowl, and fold in chocolate.

Fill 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 pan with batter, and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake the bread for 25 minutes, and then tent loosely with a piece of buttered foil. Continue baking for another 25 to 35 minutes (50-60 minutes total) until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Place on wire rack for 10 minutes to cool. Loosen edges of bread, and remove from pan. Cool completely.

No comments: