February 28, 2008

Strawberry Bread Pudding

Since the Chocolate Bread Pudding was so rich and delicious, I wondered what variations were possible. I had some strawberry bread, plus some extra strawberry juice in the refrigerator, so I decided to try a strawberry alternative.

My husband said this version was perhaps even better than Chocolate Bread Pudding. I think you can swap types of bread and still get similar results. (I actually used one slice of Braided Sesame Graham Wheat Bread.)

Strawberry Bread Pudding
1 3/4 cups cubed strawberry bread (or other bread)
2/3 cup strawberry juice (and/or milk)
1 Tbsp. amaretto
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 egg

Bake 1/2 inch bread cubes at 350ºF for 5 to 10 minutes, until toasted. Combine remaining ingredients and gently stir in bread chunks. Cover and refrigerates at least 30 minutes but no more than 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 325ºF . Spread the bread mixture into 2 greased ramekins or 1 shallow baking dish. Place dish(es) into larger baking dish and fill with approximately 1 inch of water. Bake 35 minutes until set.

Serve warm with cool whip. Makes 2 delicious servings.

No comments: