May 11, 2020

Double Chocolate Muffins

Baking is one of my happy places, so I gave these muffins from Two Peas & Their Pod a whirl to have tasty treats for a day trip to our land. Both my husband and son agreed these are better than the store-bought versions that we all thoroughly enjoy. My one son chanted "best muffins ever," and my other son smeared chocolate muffin everywhere to show his appreciation.

These are worth making. I did a double batch because I wanted leftovers. I ended up with 12 jumbo muffins and 8 regular muffins, so I'm not complaining that my version ended up with more than the original recipe.



Double Chocolate Muffins
1 2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder, divided
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup hot water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, plus 1 yolk
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup sour cream
2 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 12 standard-size muffin tins or 6 jumbo ones with paper liners. In a bowl, whisk together flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup cocoa powder and hot water until smooth.

In a third bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and yolk, vanilla and sour cream together until well combined. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 the cocoa and water mixture, another 1/3 of the flour, the remainder of the cocoa and water mixture and then the final 1/3 of the flour. Stir to combine after each addition. Stir in 2 cups of chocolate chips, reserving the remainder.

Divide batter evenly among muffin tins, using more as needed to ensure each is filled no more than level. (Mine were between 3/4 full and level and turned out great.) Top with remaining chocolate chips for that bakery look.

Bake 25-30 minutes for standard muffins or 40 for jumbo. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before removing from the tin to cool completely (or devour warm). Be sure to check at about 20 minutes or 30 minutes for jumbo to avoid dry muffins by over-baking them.

Notes: With doubling the recipe, I used 5 eggs with no issues instead of the extra egg yolk. Also, I skimped and only used 4 cups of chocolate chips, and they was still plenty of chocolate.

No comments: