April 19, 2020

Sourdough Biscuits


My husband and son adore biscuits and gravy. I thought I found my favorite biscuit recipe until I found this one from King Arthur Flour that used sourdough starter. Now I need to feed my starter extra to have enough discard to make a double batch of biscuits since one isn't enough for our family of four (when they're biscuit monsters).

These biscuits have layers, are soft and tender on the inside and develop a fantastic crunch on the bottom. Plus, they are perfectly buttery. These are now, hands down, our favorite biscuits. I made a few adaptations to the original recipe, which are reflected below.

Sourdough Biscuits
1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. cold, unsalted butter
1 cup (227 grams) sourdough starter, unfed/discard

Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Grate the butter into the dry ingredients. (I use a spatula to clean the butter off the grater, so I don't warm it up with my hands.) Work the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.

Add the starter, mixing gently until the dough comes together. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat the dough, and then fold it in half. Pat it down, and fold it in half again. Repeat another time or two to create layers. Pat the dough into a rectangle about 6 x 4. Cut into 6 biscuits, and place on a baking sheet.

Bake for 20 to 23 minutes or until golden. Serve warm, either with gravy or honey and butter ... at least in our house. s

No comments: