April 20, 2016

Flaky Southern Buttermilk Biscuits

Biscuits and gravy is probably my dad's favorite breakfast, but it's not one we had often growing up. Lucky for him, my brother's better half is considerate enough to make biscuits and gravy every time we're together for a weekend. That's how my husband learned he loves biscuits and gravy as well.

Because I'm me, I don't do canned biscuits. I don't even do bisquick biscuits, which the me 10 years ago would have considered homemade. There's nothing wrong with either of those, but I think the results are better for the slightly more work, especially with this recipe from Girl vs. Dough. It's not an exaggeration to say these are the best biscuits to come out of my kitchen.

One of my tricks for getting breakfast on the table faster in the morning is to mix together everything possible ahead of time. All the dry ingredients can be combined in a bowl, just waiting for morning. The butter can be grated and stuck in the freezer. It might not save a ton of time, but it works for me.

Flaky Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, frozen or refrigerated
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup cold buttermilk

Heat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a box grater to grate cold butter into a small bowl. Place bowl in freezer.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well combined. Add grated butter, and, use a pastry blender to cut in butter until it's the size of small peas. Pour in cold buttermilk, and stir mixture with a wooden spoon just until a dough forms.

Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, and gently pat into a rough ball. Use a sharp knife or bench scraper to cut dough in half. Place one half on top of other half, and very gently press halves together, shaping into a rough ball again. Repeat 3 times.

Gently shape dough into a rough rectangle about 1-inch thick. Cut dough into 12 equal squares, and transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing biscuits at least 1 inch apart. Place baking sheet in freezer 10 minutes to re-chill dough.

Transfer baking sheet directly from freezer to oven, and bake biscuits 10 to 12 minutes until golden and fluffy. Serve immediately. Makes 12 biscuits.

No comments: