March 8, 2018

One-Bowl Chocolate Zucchini Cake

My older son was disappointed a few weeks ago when I made a cake for a friend, so he didn't get a piece of cake. I promised him I'd make him a cake sometime, and I made true to my promise with this cake from the The Kitchen McCabe. I actually found this recipe by checking out her banana cake, which sounded intriguing, as does her pumpkin zucchini cake.

Yes, this cake has zucchini. It's apparently not noticeable aside from producing a nice, moist cake. (As tempting as this cake looks, I haven't tried it because it doesn't quite fit with my Lenten choices.) That means that Teddy is eating even more vegetables, which is my goal.The boys have been thoroughly enjoying this cake, and it got positive reviews when I took it to work.

One-Bowl Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Cake
1 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. chocolate extract
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup finely grated zucchini
Frosting
2 sticks butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
4 Tbsp. cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 9 baking pan. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl, and whisk to combine.

Add the egg, oil, milk, vanilla, chocolate extract and water. Whisk just until smooth. Stir in zucchini until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until a tester inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs. Cool completely before frosting.

For frosting, beat butter until smooth. Add in vanilla and cocoa powder, and beat until combined. On low speed, gradually add powdered sugar. Once it is all incorporated, beat another 30 seconds. Spread on top of cooled cake. Makes a 9 x 9 cake.

No comments: