February 17, 2017

Monster Cookie Cupcakes

This theme for my husband's birthday treats was the deliciousness of chocolate and peanut butter in the form of cupcakes. One of his two treats was Monster Cookie Cupcakes from Wishes and Dishes.



These cupcakes are moist and apparently delicious frozen without frosting. I had baked the cupcakes ahead of time and froze them until I was ready to frost them. (I pre-bake, so I can make bars, cupcakes and cake all in the span of a few days.) My 3-year-old son opened the pan, pulled out a cupcake and licked it. That sealed the deal that he now had a cupcake to eat. I was going to let it thaw, but he proceeded to chomp into it. He only ate one bite with the wrapper before I got it unwrapped. Extra fiber.

This cute thief is who I had to contend with while photographing the cupcake ...

Monster Cookie Cupcakes
Cupcakes 
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips 
Cookie Dough Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. oats
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup mini M&Ms
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Use a mixer to combine all of the cupcake ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Then, stir in the chocolate chips with a spatula.

Line a tin with 12 cupcake liners. Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full of batter. (You might need extra liners because the cupcakes will overflow if filled too full. I think I ended up with close to 30 cupcakes when I doubled the recipe.)

Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth.
Mix in the brown sugar, flour, vanilla and oats. Mix in the powdered sugar slowly, adding more if needed for desired consistency. Stir in the M&Ms and chocolate chips to combine.

Use a large spoon to spread the frosting on the cupcakes. Makes 12-16 cupcakes.

Note: I doubled the recipe for cupcakes but only made a single batch of frosting. I still had ample frosting for each cupcake.


No comments: