April 20, 2016

Hibiscus Syrup

Last week when my toddler wasn't sleeping from 2-5 a.m., I found myself browsing my favorite blogs when I came across this hibiscus syrup from Sprinklebakes. I've never had hibiscus anything, but it seemed like a really good idea at 3:30 a.m. I dropped the stuff into my Amazon cart. Two days later I was making this simple, flavorful syrup.

I'd love to play around with it in the form of a cake, brushing the layers with the syrup and adding the syrup to the frosting. For now, though, it's being used in ice tea for my husband. Although, hibiscus margarita anyone?

Hibiscus Syrup
4 cups filtered water
2 cups sugar
1 cup dried hibiscus flowers
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 vanilla bean

Combine the water, sugar and hibiscus flowers in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add the lemon juice. Split and scrape the vanilla seeds from the vanilla bean, and add the seeds and bean pot to the pot. Remove from heat.

Let the mixture steep for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, and strain again through a cheesecloth or tea towel if you want to remove any finer hibiscus debris. (A single straining removed pretty much everything for me.)

Transfer the mixture to an 8 cup measure with a pour spout. Fill sterilized jars or bottles, and close with tightly fitting lids. Let stand at room temperature until cool, about 1 hour. Transfer bottles to the refrigerator.

Syrup will keep for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. Makes about 30 oz. of syrup.


fdafdsdf

No comments: