January 18, 2016

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

Toffee is one of my loves, so I thought these cookies from Cookies and Cups would become an instant favorite for me. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but these cookies didn't impress me much. (Channeling some old-school Shania Twain there.) Don't get me wrong, they're still a good cookie. They just weren't magical for me.

No photos, yet again, because the camera was gone and then so were the cookies. Dave's co-workers were happy he's been there for three years ... if for no other reason than they got cookies.

One other note: My absolute favorite way to eat cookies is warm and gooey from the oven. My husband said these are better the next day, although I wouldn't know since he didn't save me any. And he said he'll deny that if I bake these again, so he can eat them straight from the oven.

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
14 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. coarse sea salt
2 2/3 cups flour
2 cups chopped chocolate chunks, plus 1/2 cup more for garnish
1 cup toffee bits

In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter and sugar together for 3 minutes on medium speed, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the eggs and vanilla, and continue mixing for 1 more minute on medium speed until pale in color.

Add in the baking soda and salt, and mix for 30 more seconds on medium speed. Turn the mixer to low, and mix in the flour until evenly incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chunks and toffee bits by hand, reserving the 1/2 cup of chocolate for garnish.

Chill the dough for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silipat.

Place the dough on the baking sheet 2 inches apart. Top each dough ball with a few more chocolate chunk pieces. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden and the tops are just set. Cool cookies on the same parchment paper or Silipat until nearly cool, as the cookies are very soft and tend to ooze through baking racks.

While you are baking the cookies, in batches place the remaining dough back in the refrigerator. You want to bake the dough chilled. Makes 24 large cookies or more modest cookies.

No comments: