March 11, 2014

Mexican Casserole

My husband and I agreed to try a mostly vegetarian diet during Lent, allowing seafood regularly and have two days each week be carnivore days. It's a fairly significant change for us, and one I was surprised my husband agreed to try. This is giving me the opportunity to rifle through years of past recipes I've never tried, including this one from Cooking Light. (Seriously, January 2010 issue, so more than 4 years old.) This one was flagged because it looked like it would suit our tastes, but I wasn't sure I could convince my husband on the meatless crumbles.

This is a repeatable dish, even with the meatless crumbles. Pretty tasty, but I made it too hot for my sissy taste buds by not properly mincing the adobe chili I used.

Mexican Casserole
4 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 chipotle pepper, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. black pepper
12 oz. meatless crumbles
48 tortilla chips
15 oz. pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp. lime juice
15 oz. diced tomatoes, drained
1 tsp. dried cilantro
4 oz. shredded cheese
Garnish
Sour cream
Black olives
Green onions

Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft, and then add garlic and pepper for one minute. Add spices and meatless crumbles. Cook about 3 minutes, until heated thoroughly.

Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray. Line with half the tortilla chips, and top with crumbles mixture.

Heat remaining olive oil in the same skillet, and add the beans. Mash with a wooden spoon, until thick and chunky. Cook 2 minutes or until heated. Stir in lime juice, tomatoes and cilantro. Spread evenly over crumbles mixture. Top with remaining tortilla chips, and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake for 13 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Garnish with desired toppings. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: