November 18, 2013

Gobble Gobble Turkeys

I found a turkey cookie tutorial at Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle. I showed it to my husband, who said they looked pretty complicated. My response, "Challenge accepted."

I love how these turned out and think they are absolutely adorable. I know sugar cookies like these are putzy to make, but I think they are completely worth it when you have this cute of a turkey to devour.



Head to Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle for the instructions.

I also found the recipe for the cookies there, and I was quite pleased with how well the cookies turned out. They held their shapes wonderfully. Here's the recipe for the the cookies themselves.


Brown Sugar Cookies
3 cups flour 
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. nutmeg 
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar 
2 sticks butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla 

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and spices. Set aside.

Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and extracts, and mix until well blended.

Gradually add the flour mixture, and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl. (The dough will be thick, so you may need to knead in the last of the flour from the bottom of the bowl by hand.)
 


Roll on a floured surface, and cut into shapes. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, and chill in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, depending on the size of the cookies. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, and then transfer to a cooling rack. Makes 2 to 4 dozen cookies, depending on the size of cookie cutters used.