November 3, 2013

Butterfinger Bars

I really need to stop discovering new baking blogs, like Averie Cooks. I should really be finding healthy eating blogs, but these baking ones are so darn addictive. Kind of like these bars.

I intended to use my toddler's Halloween candy to make these, but he only scored one butterfinger. Guess mama's going to be eating the leftover butterfingers from these bars.

So easy. So delicious.

They were a hit with my husband's family up north. I was even told I "sucked" because I only brought one batch instead of a double batch. Lesson learned for deer hunting, I guess, although I plan to substitute peanut butter cups for the topping I believe.


Butterfinger Bars
1 heaping cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. cocoa
3 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup crushed or diced Butterfinger pieces 

Line an 8-inch square pan with foil, and spray with non-stick spray. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine peanut butter, corn syrup and sugars. Microwave one minute, and then stir. Microwave another minute, and stir again until smooth. Stir in vanilla, and then stir in cocoa until blended. Stir in cereal until evenly coated.

Using a spatula, press evenly into the pan.

In another microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and remaining peanut butter. Melt in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Spread most of the mixture over the bars, leaving a scant amount reserved. Top bars with crushed Butterfingers, and gently press into the chocolate. Drizzle remaining chocolate mixture over bars.

Cook in the refrigerator until set, and then remove from pan to cut into bars. Makes an 8x8 pan of bars.

No comments: