October 25, 2013

Vanilla-Almond Sugar Cookies

If you want to be inspired to decorate amazing cookies, Bake at 350 is a must read. She has a fantastic sugar cookie recipe (see below) that holds its shape wonderfully and makes me swear a bit less than other sugar cookie recipes I've tried. I had no interest in being inspired to decorate amazing cookies, but I stumbled across this blog and learned the basics of decorating with royal icing in my second cake decorating class.

As if I really needed another hobby with a toddler and a newborn ...

And then I stumbled across The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle and her insanely cute little pumpkin pies.

I really didn't need another hobby. But I think I found one.

I only wish I actually loved eating or making sugar cookies or decorating them with an infant strapped to my chest. I'm not sure quite why I did this, but I think it has something to do with how friggen' adorable they are.


Vanilla-Almond Sugar Cookies
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 sticks butter, cold and cut into chunks
1 egg
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine the flour and baking powder, and set aside. Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and extracts, and mix. Gradually add the flour mixture, and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.

The dough will be crumbly, so knead it together with your hands as you scoop it out of the bowl for rolling.

Roll on a floured surface to about 1/4" to 3/8" thick, and cut into shapes. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Freeze for about 5 minutes or chill in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes, and then bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the edges are golden. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, and then transfer to a cooling rack.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies, depending upon the size cutter used.

No comments: