August 23, 2013

Whatchamacallit Popcorn

So I think I'm addicted to caramel corn. I probably could eat an entire batch in one sitting ... or wandering around my kitchen. This recipe from Cookies and Cups is a winner, and I didn't even add in the additional Whatchamacallit candy bars she suggested. I would imagine that would make this even more addictive.

No picture this time. I swear I didn't eat it all before I could take a picture. I only snuck a couple pieces before packaging this for my husband to take to a booyah tomorrow.

Whatchamacallit Popcorn
6 cups popped popcorn
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup light corn syrup
3 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups Rice Krispie cereal
*optional 2 to 3 cups chopped Whatchamacallit candy bars
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 250˚F. Line a large jelly roll or roasting pan with parchment paper.

In a medium pan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Bring to a boil, and let boil on medium heat for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in peanut butter until smooth.

Pour peanut butter caramel over the popcorn, and sprinkle the Rice Krispie cereal on top. Then mix everything together, making sure the popcorn and cereal get coated in mixture.

Spread popcorn onto the prepared pan, and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

When popcorn is done, spread it out onto a parchment-lined counter to cool. Sprinkle chopped candy bars evenly over top.

Melt chocolate chips in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted. Drizzle over the popcorn. Allow chocolate to set completely (or sneak pieces while it's still hot enough to burn your tongue). Makes about 8 cups.

No comments: