August 20, 2013

Oreo Truffle Brownies

So I joked on Facebook that I was feeling twitchy since I hadn't baked in a week since my second son was born. (Wonder why I didn't have any time to bake with a 22-month-old helper and a newborn?) I decided to remedy that the first day my husband went back to work and was quite proud of that accomplishment. I looked through all my bookmarked recipes and found this one from Chef in Training. Since I had a few oreos left from a previous dessert, I made a half batch.

It's a good thing I only made a half batch. That at least forced us to use some portion control. All of us, excluding the nursing newborn, love these brownies. Easy enough way to jazz up ordinary brownies into a decadent dessert. (I know it's a crappy picture, but trust me, they are delicious.)


Oreo Truffle Brownies
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 package oreos
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
10 oz. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, and blend well. Add vanilla, salt, cocoa and flour and stir until just combined. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 20 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

While brownies are cooling, make oreo truffle layer. Crush oreos finely in a food processor. When Oreos are finely crushed, add softened cream cheese, and pulse until well combined.

When brownies have cooled completely, spread oreo truffle evenly on top.

Melt chocolate chips in the microwave on 50 percent power, stirring every 30 seconds. Pour and spread evenly over the top of the oreo truffle layer. Cover, and refrigerate until set. Store in refrigerator, but remove 30 minutes prior to serving.

No comments: