January 28, 2013

Pickles and Ice Cream Cupcakes


I discovered these cupcakes from Cupcake Project after my son AJ was born. When I started making weekly cupcakes for my co-workers, I tucked this idea in the back of my mind for when our second child came along.

Coincidentally, we're in the midst of moving to a new town because my husband accepted another job. This means I can still work for my company, but I'll be switching offices. This means my current co-workers have one final week of cupcakes. 

What better way to leave than on a weird note? In addition to these, which I'll promote as "mystery" cupcakes to allow people to guess the flavor, I'll make a more normal batch as well.

Pickles and Ice Cream Cupcakes
1 cup flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground dill
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
6 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup dill pickle juice (the liquid from the pickle jar)
1/3 cup finely chopped dill pickles

Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, dill, salt, and onion powder in a medium-sized bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and sour cream until blended. 

Alternately fold in flour mixture and pickle juice, beginning and ending with the flour. Fold in the chopped pickles.

Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake  about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean. Cool completely on wire racks. Top with ice cream to serve. Makes 8 cupcakes.

2 comments:

Lindsay Beaman said...

What did they taste like?!?! Did you put a hamburger dill chip on top? :)

Kerry said...

They smelled like sour cream and onion. They tasted savory more than sweet, with definite dill flavor. It would be great to top them with a hamburger dill chip on top of the ice cream, but I didn't. (I didn't care for these, but some of my coworkers raved about how good they were.)