January 28, 2013

Chocolate Shortbread Cookies

A couple years ago I borrowed a Ghirardelli chocolate cookbook from the library and copied several recipes, which I tucked away in my stash of recipes to bake. I found that stack while packing my cookbooks for our impending move. Among the recipes was one for a chocolate shortbread, which I promptly made as part of my Christmas cookie stash. The recipe suggests an option of dipping cookies and sandwiching them with chocolate/peanut butter goodness. I didn't do that, but I think they'd also be fantastic stuffed with chocolate cream cheese frosting.


Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, and beat just until incorporated. Chill the dough at least 30 minutes.

Line 2 cookie sheets with silipats. Preheat oven to 325˚F.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Cut 2-inch rounds out of the dough, and reroll scraps as needed. Place cookies on sheets at least 1/2-inch apaprt.

Bake 15 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheets, and then remove with a spatula. Makes about 40 cookies.

No comments: